Game 2: Irving MacArthur

Cameron Drummond, Sports Editor

To help fans out, the Wildcat Tales will be posting a weekly preview of each football opponent prior to their clash with the Wildcats.

Up next, the Wildcat Tales staff introduces Plano’s Week Two opposition, the Irving MacArthur Cardinals.

School – MacArthur High School.

Location – Irving, Texas (Population: 228,653), 27 miles SW of Plano Senior.

Division – UIL 6A – District 9.

2014 Record – 7-4 (2nd in 6A – District 9), Lost in UIL 6A Bi-District round to Mesquite Horn 48-34.

Current Record – 0-1 (Tied-6th in 6A – District 9).

Last Meeting with Plano Senior – Lost to Plano Senior 34-20 in 2014.

AnalysisThe Cardinals began the 2015 season with a 49-28 loss at home to Garland, a game in which Irving MacArthur gave up 578 yards of total offense. Struggling against both the run and the pass, Irving MacArthur conceded 30 first downs to the Owls over the course of four quarters.

The bright spot for the Cardinals in their first game of the season was the play of senior quarterback Kane Hardin, who threw for over 325 yards and three touchdowns in the loss. His numbers weren’t a surprise considering the pass-heavy offense that Irving MacArthur head coach Brian Basil runs, although the Cardinal run-game suffered as it totaled just 16 yards.

Defensively, Irving MacArthur lacked in all key areas, giving up three touchdowns through the air and four touchdowns on the ground. Part of the reason for their inefficiency on defense was the loss of senior cornerback Damien Victor in the first quarter, as Victor limped off the field with a leg injury. His status for Thursday’s game is still unknown.

Plano was able to dispatch Irving MacArthur with relative ease last season at home, but this year they will have to make the 27 mile journey to Irving Schools Stadium for the game. The Cardinals are looking to right the ship after their opening defeat, although a tough task lies ahead for them as Plano was effective in all three facets of the game in their Week One win over John Tyler.

Key Players – QB Kane Hardin (Sr.), WR Josh Hodges (Sr.), CB Damien Victor (Sr.).

Irving MacArthur Famous Alumni – Brian Bosworth (Former collegiate linebacker, Two-Time Butkus Award winner at Oklahoma), Mike Phillips (1969 MLB First Round Draft pick), Odyssey Sims (Collegiate National Champion PG at Baylor, Current PG for WNBA’s Tulsa Shock).