Theatre department opens year with “Rimers of Eldritch”

Vincent Tellez, Staff Writer

The theatre department will put on their first show of the year, Rimers of Eldritch, starting this Thurs., Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Doyle Dean Performing Arts Center. The production will run through Sat., Oct. 25. Tickets will be sold for $8 for students and $10 for adults.

This unique portrayal of American society has been in production since the start of the school year.

“We started off working about two hours a day,” junior Colin Pittman said. “This week, we’ve been going until 8 or 9 p.m. because the show’s this weekend. We’ve been working a lot during class, too.”

The story focuses on the former mining town of Eldritch, Missouri during the 1960s. All is well in this small abandoned town except for the seemingly unexplained murder of the town’s outcast, Skelly. The story follows problems in the rural town as the mystery is revealed to the audience piece by piece.

“It’s the story of a daring town,” junior Michelle Hodgson said. “An action packed, drama filled story of a Christian town. The show will make you very emotional.”

Hodgson, who works on the technical aspects of the play, said the effects for the show are awesome and that the set of the show itself is mind-blowing. However, the story is not just great for those watching.

“My favorite part of the show was getting to interact with such a vastly talented group of individuals,” senior Khirad Siddiqui said. “It works very well.”

The audience gets to know the many characters of the play’s cast as the show progresses.

“All of the characters fit together like a puzzle,” senior Tyler Pietruzewski said. “No one is more important than the next.”

The department has put a lot of effort into putting this mysterious show together. The students involved with the play agreed that the ending is one of the most exciting parts of the play.

“It’s a cliffhanger because you’re going to want to see what happens next,” Pietruzewski said. “You’re going to be so jacked up on adrenaline, you’re going to have to know what’s next.”