Basketball misses their chance in final games

Varsity team trying to keep season alive with win

Carolyn Diaz

Senior Stanley Joseph setting up for a free throw after getting fouled

Grayson Krumnow, Sports Editor

The varsity boys basketball team continues their up and down season, starting their district play with a rocky 4-10 start.

The team carries a respectable 5-5 record at home, but have an abysmal 3-6 record in away games. This is something that needs to be severely improved through the rest of the season, as three out of the next seven games are on the road.

The team averages 55.7 points per game,
but struggle on defense leading to late game
losses.

Junior Dillan Walker leads the team in scoring, averaging just over 10 points per game.

Despite the slow start, senior Cooper Slay feels that the adjustments needed are only minor.

“I feel like we have the skill to win but the changes needed are more psychological,” Slay said. “We have to be determined and willing to do whatever it takes to win.”

For Slay, playing his last year of basketball is tough, but appreciates the time he has had to play the game.

“Playing my final season and representing my school gives me a bitter-sweet feeling,” Slay said. “I am sad to say goodbye to basketball, but am excited to move on to new things.”

The boys continue to be led by a group consisting mainly of seniors, with seniors Zychari Crayton, Quinton Williamson and Colin Harrison taking most of the workload. The seniors are something that head varsity coach Dean Christian holds close to his heart.

“The seniors make every year special,” Christian said. “ They make me proud to coach at this school each and every year.”

For senior guard Harrison, playing his final season of high school basketball means more than just on the court.

“It is a great experience to be a part of something bigger than yourself,” Harrison said. “Having a brotherhood is special.”

Harrison feels despite the varied success, that the team is always prepared each and every game.

“We work hard everyday and everyone has a mindset to win,” Harrison said.

At this point, the chances of the boys making the playoffs are non-existent, but winning out would be a moral win for the team after such a rough season.

The team finished the season with home games against Dallas Jesuit on Jan. 29, Prosper on Feb. 5 and Allen on Feb. 8.

In their last game against Allen, junior Dillan Walker led the team with 21 points. They hope he can replicate that in their rematch against one of the top teams in the country.

These games proved to be very tough, as all three ranked in the top spots in district standings, the boys dropped the game to Jesuit by a score of 54-67,Followed by a loss to Prosper 46-55. The guys held a lead going into the fourth quarter, but were unable to come away with a win.

Their final away games were played against McKinney Boyd on Feb. 2 and their final game of the season against Plano West on Feb. 12.

McKinney Boyd ranked dead last in district standings, and was an easy win for the team 56-49.

The Plano West game was a tough game in a hostile environment. The boys came out determined to finish their season with a victory, but lost a close game at the end. The final score was 44-48.