Evolution orchestra gives electrifying performance

Briana Lawson, Staff Writer

The evolution orchestra, an amplified string ensemble that also dances, held a marvelous concert that blew away the audience in only 30 minutes by playing popular songs such as Britney Spears’ “Toxic” and Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

The performers in the evolution orchestra are students who auditioned and were then hand picked to be a part of this remarkable group. With every upbeat song they played, there was ambition and ferocity. Yet, as soon as the song called for a  slowed tempo, they moved with elegance and grace.

Fortunately, the lighting was not a disappointment, but, instead, was a pleasant surprise. It was in sync with the music that was performed and was not late for any cues. Regretfully, since the lighting was constantly changing or too dark, it was not ideal for pictures.

Although this orchestra is called evolution, they didn’t play modern songs. Instead, they played throwback songs and even some classics. This music style was not disappointing, and the performers flowed together without any clashes.

Almost every student took the lead in several songs, but they were not undeserved.  Junior Alexandra Cui, who plays the violin, held a solo performance in “Thriller” that chilled the audience down to the bones. She played with fearlessness and willpower.

Junior Daniel Hong, who also played the violin, executed his role in “I’m a Believerby the Monkees superbly. He left the audience with teary eyes and a heavy heart, commencing emotions tenfold. There was not one dull moment in this performance.

These performers not only played spectacular music, but they moved along with it. Their bodies flowed ever so slightly when holding a long note. Then, when hitting short notes their bodies moved fast and quick. They changed formations effortlessly, and each placement gave the audience the opportunity to see all eight of the violin and viola artists simultaneously. The two cellos, one bass and drummer were able to kick back in their chairs and watch their fellow artists dance around.

When the performance was over, the crowd cheered for an encore. Luckily, enough whistles filled the air and the energy was high enough in the theatre to get the ensemble to walk back on stage. As they played “Toxic”, they had the audience grooving in their seat.

It is unfortunate that the event was only 30 minutes long, but hopefully in the future they lengthen the time and add more complex and modern songs. These artists have surely outdone themselves and have the potential to hold an excellent career in musical arts in the future.