Crocheting for change: Junior sells hats in support of GSA

Lizzy Ritchie, Staff Writer

Bright colors are popping up all over campus as junior Carla Martinez is crocheting and personalizing hats for sale in support of the Gender Sexuality Alliance. Not only is Martinez making a pretty penny with the sales, but she also believes her hats are getting the word out about GSA and informing the student body of what they may not know.

Junior Carla Martinez Crocheting away and making another hat to get out awareness for her cause. "I don't have a main goal," Martinez said. "Getting more awareness that its okay to be any sexuality would be great." Photo submitted by Carla Martinez.
Junior Carla Martinez Crocheting away and making another hat to get out awareness for her cause. “I don’t have a main goal,” Martinez said. “Getting more awareness that its okay to be any sexuality would be great.” Photo submitted by Carla Martinez.

“I got started in the GSA during my sophomore year, and when I started school here I wasn’t sure if there was a GSA club on campus,” Martinez said. “I saw a poster walking in A building – I was so excited to see that the school had a GSA.”

Martinez started crocheting when her mother first taught her while she was in the sixth grade. Originally Martinez made her own hats to show off her pride. Then, as her friends started noticing the hats, more people wanted them.

“A friend of mine saw my hat and asked me where I got it,” Martinez said. “When I told her I had made it, she asked how much it cost. I simply told her give me five dollars to pay for the yarn and then asked what colors she wanted.”

Senior Maddy Jacobs is a secretary for the GSA. Like Martinez, Jacobs joined the GSA her sophomore year. The group helped Jacobs find a safe zone where she could fully express her personality.

“Carla came in very enthusiastic,” Jacobs said. “What she is doing with her hats is great. It makes me happy to see so many people in GSA and embracing our cause. It’s awesome – it’s like a giant rainbow party

While the GSA goes beyond campus, attending outside events such as the pride parades, Martinez plans to only sell her hats in school.

“I don’t really have an ultimate goal with my hats,” Martinez said. “I just hope that I can get more awareness out about the GSA and our members. I want people to realize that it’s okay to be gay or straight or any sexuality.”

Every year Martinez attempts to start a day of silence for awareness. Around the month of April, anyone can take the oath to keep silent for a day in order to honor people around the world who are afraid to speak out about their sexuality.

“Honestly I feel that many people haven’t had the same privilege to be raised in such an open environment,” Martinez said. “If the public wants to protest my sexuality, they are more than welcome as long as they aren’t actually hurting anyone. I hope to help anyone looking for a safe haven. It’s exactly what the GSA offers, and we welcome everyone.”