Student organizations plan Halloween events

A+band+member+applies+makeup+to+senior+Sarah+Abdallah+before+the+opening+of+the+haunted+hallway.+Photo+used+with+permission+of+Megan+Liu.+

A band member applies makeup to senior Sarah Abdallah before the opening of the haunted hallway. Photo used with permission of Megan Liu.

Arim Lee, Staff Writer

Celebrating Halloween means that it’s time for horror, candy and costumes. These aspects are incorporated into the school events held for this holiday as students, some masked in unrecognizable faces, share sweets and screams.

Band is hosting the annual Haunted Hallway with the theme of “Never Sleep Again.” They are taking the band hall and creating a haunted house that will be available to Plano, Vines and Clark fine arts students at from 8 to 10:30 p.m. on Nov. 1.

“The hallway follows a story about a man who feels uneasy in his home because supernatural things happen all the time,” Drum Major senior Jossa McKimmey said. “The hallway features some of the different nightmares that he experiences that’ll make you ‘Never Sleep Again.'”

The Haunted Hallway is free for students to attend.

“Haunted houses are really expensive and we try really hard to make this as professional as possible,” band president senior Jacob Hillman said. “It can be for people who usually don’t get to experience haunted houses.”

The Haunted Hallway is a tradition band upholds every year.

“Last year’s Haunted Hallway was really good and so there’s a lot of pressure to make it just as good,” Hillman said. “I honestly think this year’s going to be even better because we have people that have worked at haunted houses and people really into the lighting, decorations and makeup.”

As promotion for the Haunted Hallway, Hillman made a video for the event. It features band members Jacob Diewald and Connor Walker.

“Anyone who is going to the haunted hallway should watch the video before they go,” Hillman said. “Right before they walk into the hallway there will be a TV and it’ll finish out the story of the video.”

Another event that was offered is the Halloween party hosted by Caring Cats and Student Council. Caring Cats hosted this event as a social gathering available to all students, including those with special needs.

“The club is focusing on getting the students who are in Special Education more involved school activities, spirit, and social things in general,” Caring Cats president senior Carolyn McCrossan said. “It’s for everyone to be friends and make friends. It just makes me happy to see them included with everyone.”

This party was held on Oct. 28 from 4:20 to 6:30 p.m., starting in A228 and later moving into the Cafeteria at 5:30 to join with Student Council. Students participating in zero hour were welcome to come early and help prepare.

“We did Halloween crafts, ate some food and watched some movies,” McCrossan said. “It was just a lot of fun.”

Both events took thought and preparation to make students’ ideas become a reality.

“There’s a lot of people that are really passionate about it this year,” Hillman said. “I think this could be the best yet.”