Troye Sivan releases new album ‘Bloom’

Ted Eytan

Troye Sivan at Capital Pride Concert

Savannah Anderson, Staff Writer

Singer songwriter, Troye Sivan released his sophomore album Bloom on Aug. 31, to the delight of his fans, who have been impatiently waiting for three years to hear a new album.

His new album may only contain 10 songs, however it’s very different from his previous album, Blue Neighborhood, for many reasons.

Each of his songs tell a different story that connect to the other songs, showcasing his raspy voice and his emotional lyrics that put the listeners into a trance. The album is more mature than his previous work. Instead of sadly singing about an old flame, it’s more like Sivan’s happily singing about his past.

Bloom starts off with “Seventeen”, which addresses the feeling of self growth. It seems like Sivan’s typical sad song, but the lyrics are also filled with a hard wisdom.

The lyrics to “Seventeen” “Boy Becomes Man Now” and “Can’t Tell a Man to Slow Down,” tell a story of falling in love at 17, the brink of adulthood.

Specifically, this song addresses his previous relationship with an older man.

“I didn’t know any gay people growing up, and didn’t know where to look to find any sense of community or sense of self,” Sivan said in an interview with GQ. “I looked wherever I could to find that. It’s hard when you feel like you’re the only person in the world going through this.”

One of the many singles on Bloom is “My, My, My!” which was the first single of the album’s debut. It starts off with a pulsing, beat underlying the lyrics, “Don’t make me wait another day. “Cause Passion is Passion,” followed by “Now, Let’s Stop Running From Love.” The song’s message is that the artist and an unnamed partner are in love and they need to just come out and say it.

“The song is basically about meeting someone and being really into them, but maybe you are meeting them at the wrong time and you’re both denying the fact that you’re into it, but it’s happening,” Sivan said in the publication, Genius. “It’s just about letting that happen and letting yourself fall into that.”

One of the standout songs is “Postcard.” The melodic lyrics speak of being let down by someone you love, and the empty feeling that is associated with this. The void of that lover underlines the lyrics, “I Sent You a Postcard from Tokyo Baby. You never picked it up.”

Sivan stresses the fact that his lover is not perfect. But Sivan could never hold that against him in the lyrics – “Cause I don’t sleep like your body’s on me. I won’t feel right until we can be.” Even with Sivan’s partner not receiving his card, Sivan still loves him.

Another top love song is “Dance to This,” a more upbeat track off the album, featuring Ariana Grande. The song features lyrics such as “Oh, we don’t need no place to go. Just put on the radio.” The joyful, romantic feelings displayed in Sivan’s writing are emotions that many people can relate to. Love songs don’t have to be themed around a club or regarding pillow talk, it can be soft and innocent.

In “Dance to This” it explains how a couple stays in and has a party of their own rather than going out to a club.

However, in songs like “Lucky Strike” with lyrics such as “And my boy like a queen. He knows how to love me better,” Sivan is using male pronouns, clearly displaying connection to his LGBTQ+ audience.

“Lucky Strike” and “Dance to This” are meant to represent a new perspective on the feeling of falling in love again. Sivan is such an inspiration to this generation. As more people are being accepting about being LGBTQ+, Sivan’s representation as a part in that society is really helpful to listeners who are now discovering themselves and their identify in his music.

Bloom is not just centered to the LGBTQ+ community, it has themes that can be relatable to all audiences.