Fall Activities in DFW

Emily DeMotte, Staff Writer

Here at Plano Senior, the end of the first grading period, the PSAT for juniors, and the looming threat of early college application deadlines for seniors can only mean one thing- fall is in the air. But despite the academic pressures that students may face this time of year, the Dallas-Fort Worth area offers a variety of fall festivities that can help students unwind and get into the spirit for all things Autumn. 

State Fair of Texas

Represented by the beloved 55-foot tall figure known as Big Tex, this annual Texas classic offers much more than just a traditional fair experience. Priding itself in its celebration of tradition, agriculture, education and community, the 2022 State Fair features entertaining shows, live music, the rodeo, livestock exhibitions, creative arts showcases, local shopping vendors, the Midway featuring over 70 thrilling rides and an abundance of traditional fried fair food. A welcoming display of culture and tradition, the State Fair of Texas is open from 10 a.m to 9 p.m. every Sunday-Thursday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. every weekend through October 23rd with tickets available at bigtex.com. 

The Dallas Arboretum’s Autumn at the Arboretum 

Described as “Dallas’ favorite fall tradition,” Autumn at the Arboretum is celebrating its 17th annual display with 100,000 pumpkins, gourds and squash arranged to “reimagine the classic tales of Jack & The Beanstalk, The Three Little Pigs, The Sword in the Stone and One Thousand Nights” for the 2022 theme “A Fall Fairy Tale”. Complete with the return of Cinderella’s Carriage and the Pumpkin Village, The Dallas Arboretum’s annual display offers a relaxing escape into picturesque autumnal scenery that runs through October 31st. Tickets are sold at dallasarboretum.org and guests are encouraged to reserve their tickets in advance due to the popularity of this classic seasonal event. 

Plano International Festival

Returning in-person for the first time since the onset of the pandemic, the annual Plano International Festival is a local favorite and will be held at Haggard Park from 11 a.m to 5 p.m on Saturday, October 15th. This free event put on by the City of Plano is known as the “largest, longest running multicultural festival in North Texas” and will celebrate cultural diversity with local vendors, performances and flavors from around the world. Accompanying this festival is the Wellness Fair and Fit Zone that will offer “Free flu and Covid shots, health screenings, and fitness demos” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Courtyard Theater. Stop by the Downtown Plano Arts District this Saturday for a multicultural display of the Plano community. 

Dark Hour Haunted House

It’s no doubt that haunted houses are a Halloween classic and Plano is home to one of the finest. The 2022 Halloween season at Dark Hour Haunted House invites visitors to “scream loud and scream often” as the 13 witches of the Dark Hour Coven gather to create a frightful atmosphere perfect for thrill seekers. Located off of Plano Parkway and Central Expressway, this fan favorite Halloween attraction is open every Thursday-Friday through October as well as the night of Halloween with tickets available at darkhourhauntedhouse.com. 

Christ United Methodist Church’s Pumpkin Patch on the Corner 

An annual Plano fan favorite, this impressive pumpkin patch is the perfect local place to pick up pumpkins for this fall season. Located in the North parking lot of Christ United Methodist Church at the corner of Coit and Custer, the Pumpkin Patch on the Corner is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily through Halloween with proceeds supporting the church’s Youth Ministry. 

Fall Harvest Festival at The Shops at Legacy

On Sunday, October 23rd from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m, The Shops at Legacy will host its inaugural Fall Harvest Festival & Outdoor Market presented by Lively Local Markets. It will feature over 40 vendors selling a variety of fall items and will also have “Fall themed photo opportunities, live music, and specials from our on-site restaurants”. Visit this free local event for a one-stop shop for all fall essentials. 

The Dallas Fort-Worth area has no shortage of themed festivities to build spirit this fall. Make use of one of these many opportunities to relax during this stressful academic season.