Celebrating Halloween during COVID-19

Costumes, coronavirus and candy, oh my!

Halloween+decorations

Emma Coleman

Decorations remain as trick-or-treaters stay home

Emma Coleman, Opinion Editor

Health risks amidst the Coronavirus have caused Halloween to be celebrated very differently for people around the United States, instead of going door to door trick-or-treating or partying with friends, many will be celebrating Halloween at home with their families this year.

“I plan on staying inside and watching scary movies with lots of popcorn with my family,” junior Jenna Zeller said.

Like Zeller, many students in the district plan to spend Halloween indoors with their families this year, planning to make the most they can out of the holiday. Although it’s not the same as going trick-or-treating, it’s best to stay indoors and out of unknown candy.

“I think students could watch a Halloween movie marathon, or carve pumpkins to celebrate Halloween,” said Zeller.

Activities like these are becoming the new normal for the celebration of Halloween this year for many, in order to avoid spreading COVID-19 across the nation. However, some students still wish to participate in the traditional activity of trick-or-treating.

“Wear a mask and stay socially distanced,” said Zeller.

Some families also wish to partake in the act of candy-giving, even though there is the danger of accidentally infecting others with the virus. Although, they are still lessening the contact with other Halloween traditionalists by simply putting their candy in a bowl on their front porch.

“Because of the interesting circumstances this year, I don’t plan on going out,” says junior Ivy Chen, “but my family still plans on decorating our house, and we may put a bowl of candy out for anyone that does go trick or treating.”

Many residents in Plano have still decorated their homes for the spooky season, not letting the pandemic put to waste their Halloween decorations.

For those that do choose to continue their Halloween trick-or-treating as per usual, Chen suggests something similar to Zeller, in regards to health risks, “People should be wearing masks, be in small groups, and social distance as best as they can,” said Chen.

Students and families across the district aren’t planning on letting the health risks of the Coronavirus stop their fun in celebrating Halloween. With spooky decorations, and at home activities, they plan to spend Oct. 31st with their families.