Spanish Club celebrates Dia de los Muertos

Lydia Sebany, Staff Writer

In Mexico, the day after Halloween is not just the day to set back the clocks an hour. It is the day Dia de los Muertos, or All Saints’ Day, is celebrated, and the day in which people who have passed away are remembered. Spanish Club is having a party after school on Nov. 7 in room A217 to celebrate that part of Mexico’s culture.

“It’s a wonderful holiday and a big celebration,” Spanish teacher Gregory Shields said. “That day, as a memorial to the person who has died, they put out altars where they put out the person’s favorite food, drinks, flowers, anything that represents that person.”

Officer senior Chisom Ogoke said she joined Spanish Club because she loves the culture and loves what they do within the club.

“I’m looking forward to making face masks and skulls, hitting the piniata and getting candy,” Ogoke said. “Also, just watching videos over the traditional dia de los muertos.”

Participating in the club expands the students’ knowledge about different cultures.

“I think it will just open their eyes to the fact that there are other holidays out there and other ways of celebrating,” Shields said. “It’s also any excuse just to bring people together who have a common interest in a healthy, fun way.”