Senior petitions school to unlock gym doors for student convenience

Nina Dillon, Staff Writer

In response to recent weather conditions that forced students to walk across campus in high winds and extremely cold temperatures, senior Miko Canto has started a petition asking for the doors that surround the gym to be unlocked for students to walk through in the mornings and afternoons. The petition, which will be submitted to the school on Dec. 18, currently has over 250 student signatures.

Canto's petition to unlock  the E building doors has attracted over 250 student signatures. Photo by Nina Dillon.
Canto’s petition to unlock the E building doors has attracted over 250 student signatures. Photo by Nina Dillon.

The “D” parking lot located near the gym accommodates over 300 parking spaces. The gym doors closest to the lot have been locked since last year. Canto believes the doors should be unlocked because of potentially harsh weather conditions this winter and the rest of the school year.

“Even if it’s a three minute walk, walking through those doors gives someone a break from the cold and rain,” Canto said. “Even if you don’t come from that parking lot, signing the petition will do someone else a favor.”

According to Assistant Principal of Student Activities Glenn Davis, doors that are further from the center of the campus tend to be locked because of safety reasons. Not only are the outer gym doors locked, but so are certain other doors that connect to D building.

“Any outside doors that aren’t close to the center proximity of the campus are locked,” Davis said. “If someone came in who doesn’t want to be seen on this campus, they’d go through obscure doors of a building where there’s not a lot of traffic to get closer to the center.”

With the help of his friend senior Justin Stewart, Canto has received many signatures from students in their classes, during lunch, and in the hallways.

Canto will submit the petition to the fishbowl on Friday, Dec. 18. Photo by Nina Dillon.

“I want to say thanks to the people who have signed it,” Stewart said. “I hope the outcome is what’s best for the students.”

Senior Chase Banick was one of the first students to sign the petition. He parks in the “D” lot every morning and occasionally ends up going to class soaked because of the rain.

“When it’s bad weather I want to cut through,” Banick said. “Nobody wants to go to class soaked because of the rain or have to walk through the harsh cold season and awful wind. I don’t see where anyone is possibly in danger by simply just walking through one of the many open school hallways.”

Canto believes that if the petition is accepted by the administration, its effects could improve the lives of students.

“A warm hallway can be the difference of someone having a good or bad day,” Canto said.