Classes cancelled due to inclement weather

Haley Samsel, Online Editor-in-Chief

After cancelling classes Monday, Feb. 23 due to inclement weather, classes and after school activities for Tuesday, Feb. 24 have also been cancelled due to continued dangers of ice and snow, per the Plano ISD website and Facebook page. This news comes after several conflicting reports were released via social media, including the creation of a fake Twitter account claiming to represent the district and the posting of several screenshots reporting that Plano ISD had cancelled school before it was official.

The cancellations and forecasts of potentially dangerous weather for the rest of the week have already begun to disturb plans for student activities. The girls basketball team was scheduled to play their regional quarterfinal game against Flower Mound at Hebron Tuesday night, but after Lewisville ISD announced schools would be closed Tuesday, the game has been moved to a later date. Plano will now play Flower Mound at Hebron High School on Wednesday, Feb. 25 at 7 p.m.

Most programs were able to reschedule games planned to take place on Tuesday.  The girls soccer team’s match against Flower Mound has been moved to Wednesday at Clark Stadium with an earlier start time of 5:45 p.m. In turn, boys soccer will play at Flower Mound Wednesday at 6 p.m. Lacrosse has moved its Tuesday game to Wednesday night at 8 p.m. at the Allen track field.

Other parts of the athletic program have not been so lucky. The Naaman Forest Classic, a tournament the baseball team planned to participate in on Feb. 27 and 28, has been cancelled. In addition, the track team’s meet at Prosper, planned for Thursday, has also been cancelled due to weather concerns.

Non-athletic activities have also been affected. WorldQuest, a competition Junior World Affairs Council planned to attend Wednesday, has been rescheduled for March 20.

The school district has announced its makeup days for the past two days will be on April 6 and May 22.  Up-to-date information about future school and activity cancellations can be found on our Twitter account, @pshspub.