PALs prove not all heroes wear capes

Photo by Regan Munstedt

Senior Caitlyn Pierce, Claire McKinney, Megan Manly, Elyse Young, Kaylee Willman and juniors Sarah Bruner and Anna Smith write letters for Caring Cats.

Regan Munstedt, Opinion Editor

With the lack of heroes in today’s world, student organizations such as Caring Cats and PALs have been making a difference and working as heroes on campus.

Caring Cats is a club that works with the special education students on campus. They throw holiday parties, make mums and garters for the students, write them letters and even take them to prom. The ultimate goal of the club is to help each student have the best high school experience possible.

“My favorite part of being in Caring Cats is getting to know all of the students in the club and building lasting relationships with them,” Caring Cats vice president, senior Caitlyn Pierce said.

By taking the time to meet all of the special education students and become their friends, the Caring Cats make each student feel more comfortable in their own skin.

“The Caring Cats inspire me with their dedication to the inclusion of our students,” sponsor and special education teacher, Carolyn Crawford said. “They exude immense amounts of positivity in everything they do.”

Caring Cats is dedicated to uniting and building relationships between general education and special education students. Special education is defined by the students that require special instruction due to the unique needs of students with disabilities, while general education is the students that do not require special instruction.

“The special education kids are the real heroes. It takes a lot for them to just be themselves and not care what others think,” Pierce said.

Also making a difference on campus and in feeder schools is Peer Assisted Leadership (PALs).

Twice a week, the PALs mentor students off campus at Carpenter Middle School and Thomas Elementary School. Each PAL is assigned a mentee to hang out with and talk to, and hopefully to make a difference in their life.

“It’s just a great feeling to be able to give advice to younger kids and even just hang out with  them,” senior PAL Hannah Smith said.

On Thursdays, PALs stay on campus and help where they can in the Special Education rooms.

“I like how friendly the other PALs are. It’s easy to get along with everyone and that makes the class a lot better,” Smith said.

The ultimate goal of both of these student organizations is to make the biggest difference they can. By including students of all ages and situations, PALs and Caring Cats are acting as heroes on campus.