Students train to be real world heroes

Photo by Makayla Casillas

Senior Ethan Ortega, senior Alia Diamon, and junior Ryan Hurst hoist the flag for the Pledge of Allegiance before a game.

Kelsey Reynolds, Feature Editor

Clinicals, Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC)  and psychology students have begun their training early to be real-world heroes.

“I always loved JROTC, but I knew I wanted to do more than just fight in war,” junior Chris Sweetnam said. “I wanted to help more people.”

Sweetnam plans to attend Texas A&M University and become a biochemical engineer to help wounded soldiers.

“I would essentially be creating medicines to help the people on the field and cure new diseases,” Sweetnam said.

While not necessarily coming in contact with the wounded soldiers, Sweetnam will be helping them fight the enemies.

“I would not consider what I would be doing heroic,” Sweetnam said. “I am really just going to be helping the real heroes fight for our country.”

Also considering a future in the medical field, junior Mckenzie Smith plans to become a pediatric oncology nurse and help kids with cancer. She hopes to attend the University of Oklahoma and study pediatric medicine.

“Clinicals has really led me to the path I wanted to go,” Smith said. “The more sites we visited the more I realized exactly what I wanted to do.”

Smith, along with other Clinicals students, hopes to excel in the medical field and become a future doctor.

“I would love to consider myself a hero, but I feel like it is my job to help others and I just absolutely love kids and have an interest in the study of cancer,” Smith said.

In Clinicals, Smith visits sites with her peers, but works with kids anytime she can.

“We don’t get to visit many pediatric sites through Clinicals, but I have always known that working with kids is what I’m good at,” Smith said.

Senior Mohammad Sherwani plans to study behavioral science and become a psychologist.

“I hope to help people understand their role in society and help them grow to the extent that they are capable of,” Sherwani said.

Sherwani knew he wanted to pursue this profession ever since he was young.

“Since I was eight, I wanted to be in the medical field,” Sherwani said. “I did not exactly know the profession I wanted to be in, but I knew that I wanted to help people.”

Sherwani chose this future for himself because of his extreme interest in the human brain and why people do the things they do.

“What really helped me to fall in love with psychology was doing my own extensive research,” Sherwani said. “I have extreme determination to achieve my goals.”

By helping people reach their fullest potential and live their healthiest lives, these students hope to become society’s future heroes.

“The only way one can truly be heroic is by considering the situation at hand and doing whatever it takes to make the right decision,” Sweetnam said.