Mr. Plano full of laughs, absurdity

Twentieth anniversary of school tradition entertaining as ever

Anna Smith

Mr. Plano winner senior Cesar Mendoza accepting his prize front stage with the other contestants behind him.

Alex Wells, Guest Writer

The Mr. Plano pageant celebrated its 20th year with winner, Cesar Mendoza, who decided to donate all of the proceeds to the St. Jude’s Foundation.

“Mr. Plano was a tribute to many of the bright, young people that come through this school,” senior Shimena Simmons said. Mendoza was crowned with ‘Mr. Plano’ for his charismatic beach ball routine and styled introductory catwalk to Lil Mama’s Lip Gloss. The emcees of the night, Pankaj Israni and Nick Senktas announced the winning contender, and they were previous contestants of Mr. Plano and graduates of 2018. It is tradition to have the prior year’s contestants to host the pageant.

Twelve male seniors, Sam Dlott (Mr. Bowling), Ryan Priest (Mr. HOSA), Bryan Mendez (Mr. DECA), Phillip White (Mr. Maroon Guard), Marvin Rojas (Mr. Cross Country), Jay Resser (Mr. StuCo), Cesar Mendoza (Mr. AVID), Pranav Jagada (Mr. Math), Jaxon Beeson (Mr. Choir), Mark Mueller (Mr. Track), Cooper Albrecht (Mr. PALS), and Brandon Devaney (Mr. Psych), were selected by the student body and went through a multitude of grueling after-school rehearsals learning dances and perfecting their own solo performances.

Some of the highlights from the show consisted of a Michael Jackson recital by Rojas, Mendoza’s beach ball ballet and a pencil tapping percussion performance from Jagada. Simmons said there were also many singing, dancing and comedy acts that fully entertained the audience.

Each nominee was out to gain the audience’s hearts and the ‘Mr. Plano’ title, along with the three judges’ votes. Staff judges were Marie Young, Junie Jones and Cassie Barron. The boys were creative with performances that displayed their personalities.

As a fun introduction to the pageant, Mr. Plano winner senior Cesar Mendoza accepting his prize front stage with the other contestants behind him. (Photo by Shimena Simmons) all contestants participated in a group dance number that was choreographed by the Planoettes.

“They knew what they were doing and the fact that they were able to teach us a dance in such a small amount of time was amazing.” senior Sam Dlott said.

All the money that was generated by the contestants and ticket sales were donated to St. Jude’s, the charity chosen by the winner of the pageant, Mendoza.

“Rehearsals were always a highlight of my day because we were all there to have fun and raise money for causes bigger than us.” Rojas said.

On the week prior to the pageant, each contender carried around a paint bucket to collect donations for their own charities. Senior Sarah Jones and junior Anna Torton helped put the show together as part of StuCo’s Public Relations committee and have been planning since last year.

“It was so nice to get to know all of the candidates, and it was a super enjoyable experience.” Torton said.

Although there could only be one winner of the night, the bonds that the boys made through their time practicing was thoroughly cherished.

“Through all the practices, we came together as a group and sharing those moments with them are moments I’ll never forget,” White said.

The Mr. Plano Crowd Favorite title was awarded to Mendoza as well for his charismatic beach ball routine and styled introductory catwalk to Lil Mama’s “Lip Gloss.”

“I value my family and couldn’t have accomplished this without their constant support and encouragement,” Mendoza said.