Fashion design shows off student-made styles

Riley Hayden

Senior Megan Baars struts down the runway in a student-made piece.

Isis Kazadi, Opinion Editor

Student designers and models alike stunned the audience with retro and drama in their annual fashion show.

Year after year select students in the advanced fashion design class host their very own show to showcase the projects they have been tackling for the better part of the year.

“It was really amazing to sit back and see the great reactions of the pieces of been developing for a year,” said senior Jaxon Kysar. “It was all of our hard work just out for everyone to see.”

What set this year apart from those prior was the theme, originally marketed as music but, the slow transition to decades created a unique aura. With leather jackets and studs came Blondie,

plaid and grunge were accompanied by Nirvana.
What once was a school cafeteria seemingly time hopped to various times and places in history, with special thanks to the deejay of the evening, Jordan Reed.

“We gave [Reed] the songs we thought would fit best with our pieces and he made sure they played seamlessly from designer to designer,” Kysar said.

This uninterrupted transition can be especially trying when tasked with mixing New Order to old school teenage pop.

“It was important to have certain songs with our looks,” Kysar said. “Fashion is only a part of the show, the ambience created plays a big part as well.”

Designers were not the only people taking chances, their respective models had the responsibility of properly portraying each piece they were given which, proved to be a lot of pressure.

“I was definitely out of my comfort zone,” said model Opal McElroy. “But that’s part of Jaxson’s charm and talent, he can put you in a huge yellow fur coat and skin tight leather pants and still

make you feel like you were made for it.”
McElroy is not the only model who had a trying time settling into character initially, Syon Wright was given the opening walk, and what he did with it set the tone for the entirety of the show.

“Being the first one out there it’s very important that I was able to start this off right,” Wright said. “Anything I could do to show the work that Suhura put in.”

The task of show opening did not fall on unworthy hands. Wright strut in, with the help of a gold dipped cane, wearing a ankle length red fur coat.

“I watched a couple of videos of dudes on the runway to prep,” Wright said.

This prep helped sell the fantasy Suhura Chowdhury was trying to give to the audience; gangster fabulous New York, straight out of a black and white movie.

He walked with all the swag and confidence of a pimp from the 80s which, was appropriate seeing as that was the instruction he was given by his designer.

Pimps and popstars weren’t the only significant influences to the show, Isbah Zehra pulled from her Moroccan background in order to make her styles personal.

“I really thought pulling from my personal culture and modernizing it, would be something different,” Zehra said.

Although traditional Moroccan and The Blonds are certainly a juxtaposition, this was the beauty of the entire event. Various types of clothing and music existing in the same space and still managing to be amazing.

Following the show, Freeman had a sweet ceremony to commemorate her time as the fashion instructor and symbolically introduce next year’s adviser, Lauren McCulloch, through the use of keys.
“I am beyond excited to see where these kids go,” Freeman said at the show. “Their new teacher, Mrs. McCulloch, will have the ability to unlock so much hidden potential.”