PSHS Favorite Homecoming Traditions

Judy+Scott+and+Andrew+Sanchez+pose+with+their+mum+and+garder+%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Abby+Carroll+

Judy Scott and Andrew Sanchez pose with their mum and garder Photo courtesy of Abby Carroll

Penelope Hurtado, Staff Writer

It is that time of year where homecoming preparations are in full swing, and part of these preparations include Plano Senior High’s great homecoming traditions.

Plano Senior High brings everyone together on the week of homecoming by hosting a fantastic parade where all clubs and organizations decorate a float and march through the neighborhood that leads to PSHS. 

“It’s something that I’ve done since my freshman year before I even went to Plano. The homecoming parade was always so much fun to look forward to, and my favorite part was getting to see all of the sports, clubs, and organizations floats. It [allows each of these groups]to represent themselves. It’s upsetting that this tradition was canceled during my senior year, especially after Covid stopped us from having one last year,” senior Kailey Blackmon said.

The parade also gets everyone in the competitive spirit. All clubs and organizations can decorate their floats to match the parade’s theme or make posters to win awards like “Most Spirit.”

PSHS also brings students together by encouraging them to stay on campus for lunch and take part in Stay Day.

Stay Day is a Plano tradition where the Student Council brings in food trucks. Different clubs can get goodies like cake pops or Rice Krispie Treats to encourage students to help the environment by staying on campus and not using their cars. 

“I think stay day is a great Plano tradition. Stay Day encourages students to stay at school for lunch instead of going out and brings the students and staff together in a school environment. I am in school enhancement, a sector of StuCo, and we get to set up for Stay Day during school on Friday. There will be food trucks, games, musical performances, and booths from school clubs. I also think it will build up more school spirit in anticipation of homecoming since stay day takes place on the Friday before the dance,” junior Nina Cairo said.

Another tradition that allows students to come together and celebrate school spirit is the mum and garter exchange. A mum is a massive arrangement of ribbons, bells, charms, and a button sewn together and designed to be worn around a girl’s neck. The male counterpart to a mum is the garter, a smaller, less flashy version of the mum designed to fit around a boy’s arm.

“I think that the mum and garter exchange is a wonderful tradition that brings students together. It’s so fun to see everybody’s school spirit wearing their extravagant mums,” junior Jayden Bluitt said.

Homecoming is already a fun time of the year, but adding in these traditions allows for so much more school spirit and camaraderie between students.