Game 3: Hebron

Cameron Drummond, Sports Editor

To help Wildcat fans out, the Wildcat Tales will be posting a weekly preview of each Plano Senior football opponent prior to their clash with the Wildcats.

This week, the Wildcat Tales staff introduces Plano’s Week Three opponents, the Hebron Hawks.

School – Hebron High School.

Location – Carrollton, Texas (Population: 126,700), 8 miles W of Plano Senior.

Division – UIL 6A – District 6.

2014 Record – 2-8 (7th in 6A – District 6), Missed Playoffs.

Current Record – 0-2 (Tied-8th in 6A – District 6).

Last Meeting with Plano Senior – Lost to Plano Senior 35-14 in 2014.

Analysis – Hebron has struggled mightily to open the 2015 season, with consecutive losses at home to Coppell and on the road to Denton Ryan. The Denton Ryan loss appears particularly troubling for the Hawks, as they turned the ball over four times in defeat.

Offensively, Hebron is a team that prefers to pass through sophomore quarterback Clayton Tune, who has thrown for 342 yards so far this season. Tune’s favorite target at wide receiver thus far has been senior Derek Mueller, who recorded 10 catches and two touchdowns over the course of Hebron’s opening two defeats.

On defense for head coach Brian Brazil, the Hawks rely upon an experienced secondary led by senior defensive back Isaiah Gary, who was named to the 6-6A all-district team last season. Despite this experience, Hebron has been especially poor on defense in their first two games, surrendering 26 and 41 points to Coppell and Denton Ryan respectively.

Plano was able to sweep Hebron aside last season thanks to a four touchdown game from now-senior running back Brandon Stephens, and history has a chance of repeating itself on Friday night in Carrollton. Hebron has had a rocky start to the new season, and their defensive shortcomings could be further exposed by a Wildcat offense looking for its third-straight 30-plus point performance.

Key Players – QB Clayton Tune (So.), WR Derek Mueller (Sr.), DB Isaiah Gary (Sr.).

Hebron Famous Alumni – Sam Freeman (Pitcher for the Texas Rangers), Stansly Maponga (Current DE for the Atlanta Falcons), Cherami Leigh (English voice-over actress).