Game 5: Flower Mound

Cameron Drummond, Sports Editor

To help Wildcat fans out, the Wildcat Tales will be posting a weekly preview of each Plano Senior football opponent prior to their clash with the Wildcats.

This week, the Wildcat Tales staff introduces Plano’s week five opposition, the Flower Mound Jaguars.

School – Flower Mound High School.

Location – Flower Mound, Texas (Population: 68,609), 26 miles W of Plano Senior.

Division – UIL 6A – District 6.

2014 Record – 1-9 (9th in 6A – District 6), missed playoffs.

Current Record – 1-3 (4th in 6A – District 6).

Last Meeting with Plano Senior – Lost to Plano Senior 35-13 in 2014.

Analysis – Flower Mound picked up their first victory of the season last week by defeating McKinney Boyd on the road 28-27. The win was Flower Mound’s first district win of any kind in over a year.

The leader in the passing game for Flower Mound is senior quarterback Noble Newton, who has thrown for just short of 950 yards and six touchdowns this season. Newton is also the key man in the running game for the Jaguars, as he has piled up 386 yards rushing with an additional three touchdowns on the ground.

The Jaguar defense features six returning players, among them senior linebacker Colton Pennington and junior defensive lineman Brandon Bascue. Having surrendered over 25 points in each of their four games so far this season, Flower Mound will hope that sophomore linebacker Connor Lee can replicate his 20 tackle performance against McKinney Boyd.

Following their first-ever District 6-6A victory, the Jaguars have jumped up to the fourth spot in the district standings. They will look to avenge last season’s 35-13 defeat to Plano on Friday night against a Wildcat team who has not scored in their last six quarters.

Key Players – QB Noble Newton (Sr.), LB Colton Pennington (Sr.), LB Connor Lee (Soph.).

Flower Mound Famous Alumni – James Hanna (TE for the Dallas Cowboys), Taylor Hoagland (member of the USA Women’s National Softball Team).