Game 6: Plano West

Cameron Drummond, Sports Editor

Game 6: Plano West

To help Wildcat fans out, the Wildcat Tales will be posting a weekly preview of each Plano Senior football opponent prior to their clash with the Wildcats.

This week, the Wildcat Tales staff introduces Plano’s week six opposition, the Plano West Wolves.

School – Plano West Senior High School.

Location – Plano, Texas (Population: 274,409), 5 miles NW of Plano Senior.

Division – UIL 6A – District 6.

2014 Record – 9-3 (2nd in 6A – District 6), Lost in the UIL 6A Area Round to Euless Trinity 49-31.

Current Record – 1-3 (9th in 6A – District 6).

Last Meeting with Plano Senior – Lost to Plano Senior 17-14 in 2014.

Analysis – Plano West is still in search of their first district victory following last week’s 41-31 home loss to McKinney Boyd. The defeat made it three losses in a row for the Wolves, who will also look to avoid a third straight rivalry defeat to the Wildcats.

Senior quarterback Logan Williams provides an aerial threat for the Plano West offense, as he has thrown for over 770 yards and nine touchdowns in just four games. The Plano West running game features senior running back Tyler Campbell, who has 239 rushing yards and three touchdowns to his name this season. Williams has a variety of receiving targets to aim for as the Wolves have four wide receivers with over 100 receiving yards. They are led by senior Tanner Harmon and his 204 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

The defensive side of the ball has troubled Plano West this season, with the Wolves surrendering an average of 34 points per game. Despite this, Plano West have experience in their secondary in the form of senior cornerbacks Amir Kilpatrick and Justin Fisher. The linebacking unit is another strong point of the Plano West defense, with senior Jared Valesano among a number of returning players for new head coach Scott Smith.

The Wolves currently occupy the ninth and final spot in the District 6-6A standings with a 0-2 record in district play. Having already lost to Plano East 36-8 this season, Plano West will seek to prevent a sweep at the hands of their Plano ISD rivals on Friday evening. Plano West and Plano have evenly split their last 12 meetings, with each team earning six wins.

Key Players – QB Logan Williams (Sr.), RB Tyler Campbell (Sr.), CB Amir Kilpatrick (Sr.), LB Jared Valesano (Sr.).

Plano West Famous Alumni – Jackson Jeffcoat (DE/LB for the Washington Redskins, former DE at UT-Austin), Jordan Pugh (former CB/S at Texas A&M), Soso Jamabo (current RB for UCLA).