Game 8: McKinney Boyd

Cameron Drummond, Sports Editor

To help Wildcat fans out, the Wildcat Tales will be posting a weekly preview of each Plano Senior football opponent prior to their clash with the Wildcats.

For week eight, the Wildcat Tales staff introduces Plano’s opposition, the McKinney Boyd Broncos.

School – McKinney Boyd High School.

Location – McKinney, Texas (Population: 148,559), 16 miles N of Plano Senior.

Division – UIL 6A – District 6.

2014 Record – 8-4 (3rd in 6A – District 6), Lost in UIL 6A Area Round to Cedar Hill 50-28.

Current Record – 3-3 (5th in 6A – District 6).

Last Meeting with Plano Senior – Defeated Plano Senior 29-7 in 2014.

Analysis – After a slow start to their district campaign, the Broncos have caught fire with two straight victories over Plano West and Plano East. Coming off of a bye week, McKinney Boyd find themselves fifth in district with a 2-2 district record ahead of their visit to Clark Stadium on Friday evening.

On offense, senior quarterback Grant Restmeyer leads the Bronco passing attack with 1,318 yards passing to his name so far this season. Restmeyer’s nine touchdown passes have gone to a total of four different wide receivers, with four touchdowns going the way of senior wide receiver Stephen Driskell. Junior running back Kaeden Markham has only 577 yards on the ground, but his 11 rushing touchdowns make him the team’s leading scorer.

The McKinney Boyd defense features a pair of senior linebackers in Ron Deboue and Brayden Webb, while senior Armani Jenkins provides experience in the Bronco secondary. Surrendering an average of 33.2 points per game, the Broncos have shown vulnerability when it comes to limiting other teams’ offenses.

The Wildcats are in desperate need of a victory following two straight district defeats, leaving them eighth in the nine team District 6-6A. Plano have lost three games in a row against the Broncos, but the Wildcats will have to win on Friday if they are to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Key Players – QB Grant Restmeyer (Sr.), RB Kaeden Markham (Jr.), CB Armani Jenkins (Sr.).

McKinney Boyd Famous Alumni – Hollie Cavanagh (contestant on American Idol), Jeff Fuller (WR at Texas A&M and for the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders).