Golf teams showing early signs of success

Skylar Sanders

Senior Nikki Patel after finishing a hole.

Grayson Krumnow, Sports Editor

Tournament wins set tone for season this spring

The varsity boys and girls golf teams are continuing to play their fall tournaments before district play in the spring.

The boys come fresh off a first place victory at the Prairie Lakes tournament on Oct. 2. This is the third of five total tournaments, which include the tournament at the Golf Club in Dallas on Oct. 23, and Gentle Creek on Nov. 5.

Some of the top players for the boys include Jackson Bell and Joshua Erwin. Bell has scored an average of 75.67 on tournaments so far, while Erwin has posted an average of 79.67.

For the team, it’s all about staying prepared and ready at all times.

“I stay focused and fresh throughout the tournaments by staying hydrated,” senior Amir Varachia said. “ I also eat snacks throughout our rounds to stay physically and mentally focused.”

While the tournaments don’t have an impact on district play, it’s a time for the players to get playing time in and get comfortable with different courses.

“Our team is young, so I can’t wait to see how much we improve by the time district arrives in April,” varsity head coach Steve O’Kelley said.

For coaches, it is a lot about keeping the golfers in the moment and not letting them think in the past or too far ahead.

“You must always try and stay in the present moment. Golfers cannot think about a past shot or a future hole,” Coach O’Kelley said. “They must play each shot at a time and put their full concentration in that moment.”

This season will lead to district play in the spring, with hopes of winning a championship in mind.

“My long term goal for the spring is to ultimately win a state championship for my school,” Varachia said.

The girls have played a total of four tournaments so far, Stonebridge on Sept. 11, Oakmont on Sept. 24, Indian Creek on Oct. 3 and Bridlewood on Oct. 24.

The top golfers on the girls team are Taylor Mieras and Sydney Leung. Mieras has been playing excellently with an average score of 71.67, including scores of one under and four under par in multiple tournaments.

Leung has shot a 73, one stroke over par and 70, two strokes under in two tournaments played.

Both the boys and girls teams look forward to putting their improved skills and scores to the test next semester when the second golfing season resumes.