Lady wildcats strive to triumph another state championship

This year, the girls basketball team is determined to match the glory of the previous year’s starting line up

Senior+Jordyn+Merritt+runs+down+the+court+after+fast+break+at+Plano+

Grayson Krumnow

Senior Jordyn Merritt runs down the court after fast break at Plano

Grayson Krumnow, Sports Editor

The girl’s basketball team have begun their quest to repeat as state champions, playing several key non-conference games to open the season.

The team started the season with a perfect record of 10-0, including a 4-0 record at home and 2-0 in away games.

The Lady Wildcat’s first game was at home against Fort Worth Trimble Tech. The girls dominated on defense, allowing just four points in the third quarter en route to a 59-46 win.

The stellar defense continued in the game against Dallas HSAA Blue. The ladies did not allow more than 12 points scored in any quarter, and almost scored triple the number of points as the Blue Angels in the second quarter, outscoring them 30-11 in the second and winning the game 80-45.

The winning streak continued with their first away game against Coppell, scoring double the points given up, winning the game 88-44.

In their most recent outing at Byron Nelson, the team won a low-scoring game by a score of 56-45.

The team has already made their identity as a defensively sound team, allowing just 41.9 points per game so far.

These non-conferences games lead up to the beginning of district play with an away game at Allen on Dec. 11.

The ladies come off a season of reaching the top of high school basketball, finishing with a record of 35-6, and winning the Texas girls 6A state championship.

Despite losing over half the team as graduating seniors, the players still have supreme confidence they can repeat as champions.

“Having to defend the title puts a target on our back and we are going to do our best to defend it,” senior PF Zaria Collins said.

With many new players added to the team, it could be inferred that the team won’t be as good, but the players can assure you that’s not the case.

“You can expect many surprises from our team,” Collins said. “Everyone brings something to the plate, don’t underestimate ANYONE on the team.”

While the players will always have confidence in themselves from day one, coach Rodney Belcher knows that the season is long, and it will take time to reach their peak.

“We want to figure out what we’re going to be good at and make changes along the way,” Belcher said. “We always teach togetherness and work hard in practice to become the best team we can be.”

Belcher also feels that, while this team is filled with new varsity players, that they can make their own mark on history.

“Evaluate what you’re good at and what the players are good at because each team is unique year-to-year,” Belcher said.

While this team will never be the exact same as last year’s, the players and coaching staff feel this team is just as talented and should not only be able to compete but should be favorites to become back-to-back state champions.