Color guard auditions underway

Aspiring color guard members may finally join the team

Photo courtesy of Lauryn Clemons

Colorguard performing at last Homecoming game

Brooke Burnett, News Editor

Plano Senior Color guard auditions were on Dec. 17th, where interested juniors and seniors showed off their skills for a chance to be a part of the Plano Senior 2021 Color guard. 

“For games with the band, our purpose is to elevate the performance. With Color guard it becomes this production and elevates everything within the band so we add this level of storytelling,” said senior Jeanne Devillier. “For practice we focus on our technique and rehearse any shows that we’re doing at the time.”

With three clinics leading up to the audition that teaches students everything they need to know; Color guard gives everyone an opportunity to be a part of a team. These clinics taught students the necessary skills in order to crush the auditions and students learning from home were also able to participate. 

“Color guard is for anyone at any level. We can teach them what they need to know in order to be on the team,” said senior Laura Anderson, a Color Guard co-captain.“Come into it with a positive attitude because if you’re not willing to learn, then you’re not going to be able to catch on and perform with the group.” 

The auditions were held in the gym with many excited and nervous students ready to audition. COVID-19 rules and regulations, such as wearing masks and keeping six feet apart, were strictly enforced to ensure the safety of all students and staff. 

“I almost didn’t join because I was scared I wouldn’t make it and it was the best decision of my life to join, and it is hard, I’m not going to lie. But it’s just fun and when you get something that you’ve been working on really hard for the first time, it’s amazing,” said senior Alexandria Vuong, a social officer on color guard. 

Color guard is an excellent opportunity for any student who wants to be a part of a team; to be in school events, and have fun. Plano Senior Color guard also travels to competitions and competes district wide. 

“I love the dancing, but I also really love the community because a lot of us have been in it for a really long time, and anyone new who joins, I feel like we’re always able to give them a place to feel safe, so we have a lot of friends  and we’re like a big family,” said Anderson.