Plano Football Season Opens with a Bang

After tough loss Plano defeats Rowlett 60-7

@julius_gallardo8/Instagram

Grant Garcia (22), Jonathan Escobar (51), and Ryan Motino (63) line up at the line of scrimmage ready to snap the football into play

Michelle Kallas, Staff Writer

Despite an unfortunate start to the season with a close game against Byron Nelson, the Plano Senior football team turned it around with a 60-7 win against Rowlett in the second game of the season. 

Following an extremely atypical year, the excitement is high for the beginning of the new season. The Plano Wildcats kicked the year off with a game against Byron Nelson, making a strong comeback in the fourth quarter and finishing the game off with a close score of 28-22. 

“I feel like the start of our season was a bit rough, but we’re slowly finding our chemistry as a team,” senior Humphrey Amaechi II said. “I predict there are good things coming for us this season. I’m excited to see how this season unfolds.” 

The team, determined to improve after a very close first game, found their stride quickly in the second game. Dominating from beginning to end, it was clear the boys worked hard to gain ground after a difficult start. 

“I would say coming off game one we saw we beat ourselves, and the mistakes we made were all fixable,” senior Grant Garcia said. “We also came to practice [the next] week confident and very focused knowing how good we could be.”

After a year stuck at home, students share the team’s excitement for the rest of the year and have been showing this excitement in the stands. Without the ability to participate in many Plano traditions last year, the return of football has many students excited for a more normal year. 

“Covid took away a lot of fun student activities and the hype that surrounds Plano tradition,” senior Ava Banker said. “So I am definitely most excited to get a chance to bring back the school spirit that makes Plano Senior fun.”