High Spirits for Win Against East

Emily DeMotte, Staff Writer

Spirits were high as the Wildcats took on Plano East at the Homecoming football game on Friday night. After a busy week of Homecoming festivities, Friday’s game was highly anticipated and the Wildcats did not disappoint. The team brought home a 33-22 victory against the Plano East Panthers, cheered on by the band, drill team, cheer team and a packed student section. 

Head Varsity Cheer Captain Kennedy Kilgore felt that the activities of Homecoming week helped contribute to the show of spirit at Friday’s game. 

“This was my first time experiencing an actual Homecoming parade at Plano Senior, [I] didn’t even know they gave awards for the floats and everything, so I just thought that really helped build up school spirit,” Kilgore said. “[And] the spirit days were awesome, [for character day] there were a lot of Adam Sandlers at school”. 

Senior Heidi Garcia, who was among the many students in the student section at the game, also enjoyed participating in the themed spirit days leading up to game day. 

“As a senior I really wanted to go [all] out, and it was really fun taking pictures with all my friends, dressing up and just not being afraid to look dumb because it’s senior year,” Garcia said.

In Texas tradition, Friday’s spirit day was mum and garter day.  Many Wildcats in the student section sported their Homecoming regalia at the game, along with an array of cowboy hats, boots, bandanas and plaid flannels to fit the “western” theme. This was just one of the many ways that the student section showed up and showed out with spirit for the game. 

“I just want to say the student section has been doing great this year,” Kilgore said. “I’m so excited, [there was a] big show out today and everyone has been doing really good with the drumlines and the cheers and that just makes me really happy.” 

In true Homecoming spirit, the energy at Friday’s game was a welcoming display of camaraderie among students in the Wildcat community. Many students stepped up to lead their peers in their demonstration of spirit, supporting the football team and celebrating their victory as Homecoming week came to a close leading up to the dance on Saturday.

“I think the Mamas are doing a really good job, the Blazer Boys are doing really great, the cheers are fun [and] the energy is good,” Garcia said. “I love the energy, the commitment, showing up, standing up, not sitting down [and] risking passing out. That’s what Plano football is all about.”