Meet the Mamacitas and Blazer Boys

Submitted Photo

The Mamacitas and Blazer Boys lead the student section for the first game of the season.

Taylor Herd, Staff Writer

The ongoing tradition of the student section leaders at Varsity games is one that is never forgotten. This role is passed down year-to-year, from one senior to the next. The Mamacitas and Blazer Boys stand alongside each other while cheering for the football team every Friday night.

The Mamas this year are seniors Sydney Carroccio, Alexa Hamilton, Katelyn Kennedy, Kate Tucker, Kristen Pareti, Kate Fratter, Yasmin Waheed, Ashlee Kent and substitute Victoria Ragas. The Blazers are seniors Andrew Sanchez, Tyson Hall, Kyle Bade, Talan Blackmon and Drake Detherage. 

“I’m excited to be in this position because it has been a tradition for so many years in Plano and it’s so great to be a part of it,” Sanchez said. “Being able to be a Blazer this year has been really fun.” 

Tucker, this year’s Head Mama, is most excited for senior night to celebrate all of the “lasts” she gets in her final year at Plano. 

“I’m head Mama this year and it’s already been super fun to get to know all the other Mamas and Blazers, have sign making nights, baking nights and planning coordinating outfits for the games,” Tucker said. “I’m super excited to make lots of fun memories this year with all of my friends and continue to support Plano at the games.”

Hall is most thrilled for the Plano West game because the team came up short last year. 

“I’m excited to be a Blazer Boy because we get the best view but we are also the main reasons our student section can get so rowdy,” Hall said. “If we are loud, everybody gets loud and that’s exactly what the players on the field need to get going.”

Pareti is looking forward to seeing what this year’s juniors and seniors have to offer.

“I love the atmosphere of a hype crowd and being part of the energy is exhilarating,” Pareti said. “I can’t wait for our home games to get everyone out there and have a good time together.”

Blackmon hopes to encourage the players on the field by showing up and rooting for the team.

“I’m glad to be a blazer boy this year because it’s a reason to be at every football game supporting my boys,” Blackmon said. 

Kennedy is most excited for home games and she can’t wait to see the stands packed.

“Being a part of Mamas has already been so fun this year,”Kennedy said. “I love cheering on the team with all of my best friends and making outfits for every theme.”

All of these student section leaders are looking forward to get the crowd excited for the upcoming games and to celebrate their last memories at Plano. You can catch them at every football game in the front of the student section this year cheering on the Wildcats.